What is WFEIS?
The Wildland Fire Emissions Information System (WFEIS) is a web-based tool that provides users a simple interface for computing wildland fire emissions across CONUS and Alaska at landscape to regional scales (1-km spatial resolution). WFEIS integrates burned area maps along with corresponding fuel loading data layers and fuel consumption models to compute wildland and cropland fire fuel consumption and emissions for user-specified locations and date ranges. The system currently allows for calculation of emissions from fires within the United States (excluding Hawaii and territories) from 1984 through 2013 depending on the selected burned area product.
The WFEIS website allows for two approaches for making fuel consumption and emissions estimates:
- First, there is an Emissions Calculator that provides a graphical user interface for constructing queries.
- Second, the WFEIS website responds to queries submitted via properly encoded URL requests (i.e. it implements a RESTful Web API). Examples of valid WFEIS URLs, accessed via the emissions calculator within the KML and text report output formats, can be modified by users and resubmitted to the WFEIS system.
More information can be found on the Project Outputs page.
Updates and versioning history
June 19, 2014Website content updates:
- Added archive of annual WFEIS emissions estimates in various output formats
- A subset of pre-processed annual model runs are displayed on the Examples page
- Added report comparing GFED and WFEIS to Project Outputs page
- Added help for proper encoding of WFEIS URL queries
March 19, 2014WFEIS version rotated to 0.4. Associated changes include:
- 1-km MODIS-enhanced FCCS added and set to default fuels layer
- Upscaled 1-km Cropland Data Layer-based fuels map added for optional inclusion of agricultural emissions estimates
- More information on how WFEIS incorporates both fuel layers can be found on the WFEIS Fuels Map page.
- Fuel moisture is now based on 40-km gridded estimates from RAWS data rather than interpolation to CEC level II ecoregion
October 2, 2013WFEIS version rotated to 0.3. Associated changes include:
- Burned area datasets added:
- Landsat Daily
- Agricultural NEI
- Smartfire NEI 2011
- Integrated updated CONSUME 4.0 delivered by FERA
- Added data tables and functionality for calculating agricultural emissions using the Agricultural NEI burned area dataset